From: Karl Kliparchuk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, 30 June 2000 12:22
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MI Bug in Table > Update Column?

I was showing some clients this function of MapInfo Pro v6.0.  I have a
table with 4 polygons in it representing catchments.  I also have a
temporary table that I had created from an SQL Select.  I used some of the
data aggregation functions to produce some statistics on population per
catchment area.

I wanted to use the Table > Update Column to transfer data from the SQL
select table into the polygon table.  I had an ID column in both tables,
with numbers 1-4.  When I tried to transfer the AVG pop value from the SQL
table to the polygon table, the pop values were not put into the correct
record.  For example, polygon 1 should have an average of 44.8.  Instead of
getting that, I had a value of say 222.4.  The data values are all there,
but they are not in the proper order.  polygon 1 has the pop data for
polygon 3.  I have never seen this happen before.  I can send anyone that is
interested the two files and the SQL query used for the data aggregation.  I
look forward to hearing from you.

Karl

Karl Kliparchuk, M.Sc.
McElhanney Consulting Services Ltd.