> move list to a newsgroup

In one sense I agree completely, newsreader software is
much smarter about threads 'n such and much nicer to use.

On the other hand,our firewall at work blocks the newsgroup
ports (and no amount of pleading on my part will change it.
I've tried). Also at my home ISP does not carry many
newgroups and a fairly high volume one like MI would not be
considered to due the low number of GIS people in my area.

Web-based newsgroup access is more or less pointless from
my viewpoint - you lose most of the usability, while putting
up with ton's of slow downloading and fast animating ads.
The only real gain here is the ability to search past posts,
and browse without subscribing.

A mirror situation could work though: those of us unlucky
enough to be able incapable of using newsgroups could
continue with email.

my 2 cents.

matt