Sounds like your looking for is what's known as Voronoi polygons.
Take a look at http://www.tetrad.com/VMapper/example2.html, and
replace those Col McBuckets Chicken Fried Blasphemy stands with
fire stations, and you can see that the Voronoi polygons could be
used to select nearast roads to a station.

Vertical Mapper (http://www.northwoodtec.com) makes these easily.
Also check out The Map Tools Company's
(http://members.aol.com/maptools/) TriTools (a good for the
price.)

- Bill Thoen

GISnet, 1401 Walnut St., Suite C, Boulder, CO  80302
tel: 303-786-9961, fax: 303-443-4856
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.ctmap.com/gisnet