I don't think there is really any way to have a variable number of
checkboxes in a dialog.  Instead of making the checkboxes the variable why
not make the variable number be contained in a list box.  In the example you
suggested below:
Have a listbox or popupmenu holding the list of open layers.
Have a single checkbox for each user option rather than one for each option
per layer.
Use the TRIGGERCONTROL() and READCONTROLVALUE() functions to work out what
list item was selected when the list selection changes, then populate each
option checkbox with the valid information for that selected layer.

The list box is populated each time the sub starts by gathering a list of
open layers into a string array and populating the list with that array.
This way every time the sub starts the list of open layers can be different
and the sub will still react dynamically to give the information you
require.

I hope this helps...

Regards,
Stephen White
Analyst / Developer
ERSIS Australia Pty Ltd

Suite G7 Paspalis Centre
Darwin, Northern Territory
Ph: +61 8 8941 3906
Fax: + 61 8 8941 3670

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Visit ERSIS' home page at:  http://www.ersis.com.au
<http://www.ersis.com.au/>
Visit Encounter at: http://www.encounter.ersis.com
<http://www.encounter.ersis.com/>
Visit the DataMall at: http://www.datamall.com.au
<http://www.datamall.com.au/>
The views expressed in this mail are not necessarily those of ERSIS
Australia Pty Ltd.