When MapBasic creates an MBX file, it puts a version number in the header of
the file somewhere.  To prevent the possibility of encountering a reference
to a feature of a 'future' version, MapInfo will not run any MBX file with a
version number newer than it has.

Versions of MapInfo Professional and Runtime will run files compiled by any
prior version back to at least version 4.12  If you don't need to compile a
MapBasic program using any of the features of a newer version of MapInfo,
you can compile it with an older version of MapBasic and it will work fine.
In fact, if you distribute MBX files as a product, and you don't know what
version of MapInfo the user has, you'd probably want to compile it with the
earliest version of MapBasic that includes all of the features you need.

Daniel J. Bower
Commuter Services Director
intelitran
2000 Oxford Drive, Suite 400