Dear all

I was interested to read the discussions going on as regards Mapinfo and
education/GIS. I've never used ESRI (might explain why I'm out of work at
the moment?!) but last year in the Solomons the local Mapinfo User group
(small though it maybe) joined in GIS Day and organised a highly successful
open day in conjunction with the local Higher Education College to raise
awareness of GIS technology and promote courses at the college. ESRI were
more than helpful despite (or cynics might say because) the fact no one in
the Solomons was using ESRI products. They sent free stuff by courier due to
problems getting stuff by conventional post, the resources are now at the
college and hopefully will be used. Much of the stuff sent was usable
without ESRI products, the sample ARCINFO files we wanted to use as examples
were easily converted to Mapinfo and everyone was happy. Obviously World
Wide Day is part of  marketing but the Mapinfo group in the Solomons
certainly benefited.

Mick