I'm new to MapBasic and am trying to write a small program to enable a
colleague to start using MapInfo for their work.  This is my program so
far:

Include "c:\program files\mapinfo\professional\icons.def"
Include "c:\program files\mapinfo\mapbasic\menu.def"
Include "c:\program files\mapinfo\mapbasic\mapbasic.def"

Dim Symbol_type as Symbol
Dim Line_chosen as Integer

Declare Sub Main
Declare Sub Enter_Details
Declare Sub Set_Symbol_Type

Sub Main
Create ButtonPad "X" As
PushButton
ID 501
Icon 42
Calling Enter_Details
End Sub

Sub Enter_Details
        Dialog
                Title"Title Bar"
                Width 150
                Height 50
                Position 50, 170
        Control StaticText
                Title "Title Bar"
                Position 10, 12
        Control PopupMenu
                Title "This;That;Then;Now"
                Position 50,10
                Width 100
                Height 20

        Control OKButton
        Control CancelButton

'**end dialog

        If CommandInfo(CMD_INFO_DLG_OK) then

        Do Case Symbol_Type
                Case "1"
                        Symbol_type = MakeSymbol (33,red,12)
        End Case
        End if
End Sub

The program loads into MapInfo okay.  Selecting the first option on the
drop-down menu (called First), however, displays  the following error
message appears

(mybuttonpad.mb:42) Cannot use an uninitialized symbol variable in an
expression

Can anybody help me with this - I've looked through the manual but can't
seem to pinpoint anything

Regards

Simon