Hi,
many thanks to Yas and whoever it was who pointed me to the (many) Visual
Basic pages.

if you want to launch  internet explorer without recognfiguring your tables
(ie if your application is writing html text or vrml ) then I can recommend
the API solution:

Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal
hwnd As Integer, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal
lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As
Integer) As Integer

sub  yoursubname
Dim nReturnValue        As Integer

nReturnValue = ShellExecute(0, "Open", "c:\your_html_file_here", "", "", 1)
end sub

if you want to associate many html/vrml files with your data, then the
hotlink tool(s) the one to use.

regards
Brit. Geol. Surv
www.bgs.ac.uk