MI List

I run MI version 6 under NT
In running my interactive Mapbasic application

It comes up with error messages like :-

(APPNAME.MB 9999) Unable to open FNAME.ID. Too many files open.

The program location and the filename vary depending on the order of the
interactive actions. The occurence seemed to be greater under version 6 than
Version 5.5. With some recent necesary changes to the application the Error
has now become a Brick Wall

I have attempted to be more frugal with the use of files (around 48 tabs)
All files are on my C drive with  some 467 mb free
The application uses selection & win change handlers and also writes to the
cosmetic layer.

Is there some setting to expand the limit
or another ideas   Please

                        Thanks

                        Brian Chester