I need to read from a database and use the information to construct a region
feature.  I'm guessing this is a fairly standard thing to do, but I just
can't seem to figure it out.

The documentation seems to describe a 'feature' as something that
comes from a record in a database.  But, obviously, if I am building
regions they will come from quite a few features.

I do know how to use a jdbc query to add a layer to the map ... I just have
no idea what I need to do in addition to that to get what I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
aaron.