[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> One Comment about the advertising with the e-mail.
>
> Don't do it!
>
> That's the sort of thing that could run me off from this list faster then any thing
>else.

Would you be willing to pay a subscription fee to get the list
mail then? How do you suggest we afford the service? Would you
prefer twice-yearly fund drives like they do for public
broadcasting?

It's been free because I managed to get a good deal at Colorado
Supernet for the last 6 years. That made it cost so little (and
was helped by some donations and the proceeds of an auction) that
my business carried it these last few years. It cost $14.95/mo
plus my time, which was gladly given because it has also been
good for my business. But SuperNet got bought out by Qwest/US
West, and because SuperNet isn't profitable enough for the big
wheels, the wheels are closing down that service. The hard, cold
Morlocks meet the Eloi of the Internet.

In a perfect world advertising serves to connect people who have
needs to products and services that answer those needs, and
that's the goal we would try to attain. I am all too aware that
in our real world, advertising also tries to *create* needs and
wants and stick a straw into your wallet and suck hard. We all
know that activity sucks, but is there any creative solution that
we can come up with where we can generate enough cash to pay for
the infrastructure we need to make this list a success? Lists do
not live by email alone.

Perhaps we can do a mix of paid subscriptions with no advertising
with some freebie subscriptions that come with a helping thinly
sliced spam. How about the USGS buying up a block and giving them
out to employees? Maybe people with deeper pockets could fund
subscriptions for students who are full of bright ideas, but no
money. Maybe we could charge enough for advertising so that there
wouldn't be many (but if there were none, that wouldn't help) Or
maybe the ads wouldn't be so bad or common anyway. Maybe we could
do a mix of donations, light advertising, auctions, and fund
drives. But all that work takes volunteers or paid staff.

Advertising is the easiest solution. If you don't want it at all,
get creative, and not to put too fine a point on it, put your
money where your mouth is. The form that these will take has not
been decided yet anyway. All that's been talked about is that the
service can be offered and that advertising would be a covenant
way to afford it.

As Henry D. Thoreau once said, "All great enterprises should be
self-supporting."

How about some ideas instead of complaints?
--
- Bill Thoen