I think the whole expression has to be less than 256, but I can't remember.

The obvious suggestion is to break your SQL statement into sections or
abbreviate.
ex:

SELECT one.NGS_id INTO two
FROM one
WHERE (((one.NGS_id)>"1"));

SELECT two.NGS_id INTO three
FROM two
WHERE (((two.NGS_id)<"2"));

or something.

and:

Use left$(column,3)="Bus"

instead of:

column="Bush will be our next president, but we all have to wait for ten
days if not more to find out"

But you probably knew all that already.

Also, leave the mapbasic window open, that can help automate the dissection
of a where clause.

Charles K. Huyck
ImageCat, Inc
http://ImageCatInc.com