"Macdougall, Evan 1065" wrote:
> Now, I have a question for you, Bill.   I don't know if anyone else every
> noticed this happenning to them, but i notice this happens to me.  If I send
> my e-mail through to MapInfo-L and someone replies quickly enough, I will
> receive the reply BEFORE i receive my own original e-mail.  Now, this
> usually happens because the respondant has replied to me directly instead of
> through the list.  So, there is a definate delay.  How long does it take
> MI-L to process an e-mail and strip it of all the nasties and leeches before
> it is finally sent out?  Seems to me it takes about 5 minutes at least.

According to the headers on this last message you sent, you
posted it at 12:22:25 -0700 (Pacific daylight time). Your mail
handler posted it to directionsmag.com about 20 minutes later at
12:42:42 -0700. Then majordomo message-mashed it, and passed it
off to my mail handler here in my office received it at 13:27:23
-0600 (Mountain daylight time), or about 15 minutes BEFORE it was
processed at directionsmag. Um... yeah... that means that your
site delays mail 20 minutes while Directions Magazine delivers
mail even before it's sent! Amazing value, wouldn't you say?

An alternative possibility is that our servers' clocks aren't
synchronized, and there's no way to estimate the delay reliably.

--
- Bill Thoen
GISnet, 1401 Walnut St., Suite C, Boulder, CO  80302