From: Phillips, Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mi-L (E-mail) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 9:33 PM
Subject: MI-L MI: fields shortened upon Excel import

As the title suggests, upon importing an Excel file, numeric fields are
shortened from 6 to 4 decimal places.  Yipes.  Never has happened to me
before, though I've performed the operation many times.  I've triple-checked
that the fields are formatted correctly in Excel (to the point of exporting
the file as text and reimporting it to Excel), and that there are no
extraneous characters in the nether regions of the spreadsheet.  I'm using
MI6 and select the "Use Row Above Selected Range..." option.

I know that I could simply import the text file mentioned above, but that
doesn't solve the fundamental problem.  Are there other subtleties to
importing spreadsheets that I have overlooked?

Regards,

ACP

Andrew Phillips, Ph.D.
Illinois State Geological Survey