From: Lawley, Russell S [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 5:00 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: MI-L skills and markets

Denn

spot on.... I got used to being described as a 'lightweight GIS developer'
because i concentrated on mapinfo rather tha AV  many years ago, and i know
that it has negatively affected my CV in recent job applications because of
a pervasive feeling in UK local government and academia that somehow Av,
and av skills are vastly 'superior'. I believe MAPINFO has really suffered
in UK; ESRI were shrewd enough to work out that academia is where it all
starts, government is where its regulated and everywhere else is where it
ends up.

As a result of this I am now having to 'join' the ARCXXX8 bandwagon,  ( but
i have to say the departure of ESRI 'Views' and 'themes', and the arrival of
'Maps' and 'layers', and 'on the fly projections' and the removal of yards
and yards of mouse mileage, etc is making this rather easy for me........

regards