> Can someone enlighten me as what the difference between a .gst file and a
> .mdf file is and how our application might be affected if we use one
> format or the other?

.mdf is XML based; .gst not:

I have been told from MI people that .mdf has some enhancements
(additional options) compared with .gst.
However I have no experience if a MapXtreme application is affected by
using .mdf or .gst.

In some cases we noticed problems with saving .mdf-files from
MDF-Manager - this tool could not read its own files. I assume the
problems were caused by German umlauts (however XML can handle this !).

.gst files can be exported from MI Pro, .mdf not.

> I have looked for documentation on the subject but have come up with none.
> (from the MapInfo web page. The MapXtreme book had 1/2 page only)

.mdf is not officially documented, .gst is documented.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
i.A.

Franz-Josef Behr

Dr. Franz-Josef Behr                 Phone: ++49 / 7243 / 5641-20
GIS-Consultant                       Fax:   ++49 / 7243 / 5641-99
Graphservice GmbH                    EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Im Ermlisgrund 18                    D-76337 Waldbronn
Author of: Strategisches GIS-Management - http://www.gis-management.de
WWW: http://www.graphservice.de
Personal Home Page: http://home.pages.de/~fjbehr und
http://www.gis-news.de  [EMAIL PROTECTED]