Andrew,

I would be very interested in the number of users who are actually
represented by this list. I think from memory there are over 2000
subscribers. I would hazard a guess at an average of say, 50 users
represented by each MapInfo-L'er. That accounts for 100,000 users, and
that's a lot of opinions. That's my guesstimate; perhaps a HTML wizz could
set up an on-line survey.

I think it also needs to be remembered that these are the users at the cold
face of GIS. Not CEOs or CIOs or GMs who like to send their GIS departments
off to produce the eye-candy without knowing what work and processing goes
into those requests.

I think there needs to be a real re-think on fixing the existing rather than
adding more functionality which may or may not be useful to some. eg.
Packing a layer and having it removed from a map. If that didn't happen, it
could save up to half an hour in some cases (save workspace/ pack table /
close workspace / open workspace). Sure, now we can produce prism maps, but
it still takes twice as long as it should to produce a standard cartographic
product. Yes, some of the recent improvements are welcome (eg. better object
processing), but some are pretty ordinary.

Thanks,

Chris Perry
Corporate Systems CoOrdinator
Parks Victoria