Dear Jacqui

This is a regular problem for us UK users!

MapInfo is working in a default of lat long, and you are working in
British National Grid. You either need to type the projection for BNG
into your MapBasic Window or better still set this projection in a
default startup.wor so that it is there everytime you start up MapInfo.

If you are not sure of the parameters for BNG, take a look in the
MapInfow.prj file.( Back it up first if you are going to use an
editor!!).

Regards

Bob Young
By Design