Frank,

Open a MapBasic Window (Options > Show Mapbasic Window).  Using your data
(or a copy of your data), perform a Combine operation.  Look in the
MapBasic window, and notice the combine command.  In particular, notice the
"data" clause in the Combine statement.  Now perform a buffer operation
(don't forget to revert the table, or undo the combine comand).  Notice
that the default Buffer command in the MapBasic window, as constructed by
the GUI, does not contain a "data" clause.  However, it CAN contain a
"data" clause, it just doesn't.  If you have MapBasic, you can look at the
help for the "Create Object As" command.

You will need to figure out what data clause you will need for your buffer
operation.  Playing around with different combinations in the Combine
operation may help.  Then you can construct your own Buffer command with a
data clause.  You can type the Buffer command into the MapBasic window (or
copy and paste from other Buffer and Combine operations), and execute it.
Or, if you have MapBasic, you can write a MapBasic program.

Adding data options to the GUI for Buffering is a feature under
consideration for future versions of MapInfo.

Derek Snyder
MapInfo Corporation

Mail List:[EMAIL PROTECTED]