Listers:

Anybody else experience a bug when using the new scalebar tool in a
layout window? Basically, the scalebar comes out nice if the frame is
based on a map window zoomed to the continental U.S., but if zoomed in
closer or farther the text of the scalebar is off acccordingly. MapInfo
tech support is stumped so far (see my e-mail to them below for
details)...Have any of you been able to recreate this?

Thanks,

Chris

Christopher DuBuc
V.P. Florida Operations
Sage Software
407-310-8442
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Kevin,

>I've been able to predictably been able to reproduce the layout
scalebar bug that I talked to you about. Essentially, the >scalebar in a
layout window comes out fine for a view of the continental US. However,
if you zoom out farther to capture >Alaska and Hawaii then the spacing
of the numbers is too close to the bars. Alternatively, if you zoom in
close, let's say >the San Francisco area at about 400 miles, then the
spacing of the numbers is too far away from the bars. In short, the
>scalebar only comes out correct in the layout window when the map is
zoomed to the Continental U.S. (about 3,300 mi.).

>Just for kicks, I tried this with another file: DC_Zips from the
tutorial data. If you have a map zoomed to the extents of >DC_Zips then
you get the 'numbers too far' problem. However, if using the same map
you zoom to the extents of the >Continental US (I used the
named_views.mbx) then the scale bar prints out fine.

>The steps to recreate are simple:
>
>-Open a map window on any layer
>-Open a new layout window creating one frame for the map
>-Using the scalebar tool, click outside the bottom left of the frame
>-Choose 'Adjust Frame' option
>-Accept scalebar defaults
>
>I've fooled with many scenarios (new frames, scalebar options, etc) and
it's always the same. The only thing that seems to >matter is the zoom
setting of the map window. If it's set to approx. continental us then
the scalebar is fine; if the zoom is >closer or farther then the
scalebar text is off accordingly.

>My Setup:
>
>Win 2000 Professional
>MapInfo 6.5
>Printer Driver set to 'FAX'
>Using standard mapinfo data files- States, USA, DC_Zips, US_Cnty
etc....