I have put in the Beta Testing section of www.paris-pc-gis.com a first
version of Split_Pgon that splits a one-polygon region with a one-section
polyline. It may not be a unique tool for doing that, but in the process of
writing it, I found that this kind of operation raises some very interesting
topological issues. The beta testing that I invite you to undertake could be
as well a source of reflections on these issues.

The topological questions I have encountered are complementary.

1 - the object that would be obtained by merging the two "new halves" is not
identical to the original one. That stems from the possible addition of a
node in two different "sides" of the original region. The new node
(intersection of polyline with polygon) does not fall always exactly on the
segment.

2 - The modifications made (new nodes) must be replicated in regions
adjacent to that "sides" to avoid creating a local topological distorsion
(missing common node, gap or overlap)

As a resut of the non-linearity of the added nodes and of the adjustments
required by the second question, I have been able to observe small
variations in region areas in some cases.

I would love to hear your comments in that domain.

Jacques Paris
e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MapInfo/MapBasic support  http://www.paris-pc-gis.com