Hi Steve

See at the bottom a comparision I sent out a while ago, in addition following comments:

>MapXtreme
>--Most expensive of the three
>--Probably the most scalable and high-performance of the three

Price: This is not the case anymore. MapXtremes' price is now lower then ArcIMS (at
least on a machine with 1 CPU).
Performance: imho very good, but not as good as MapServer on LINUX.

>ArcIMS
>--Middle cost

True, comments see bottom.

>MapGuide
>--Lowest cost
>--Major disadvantage seems to be the plug-in download.  Does the current
>LiteView work well?  Some have said in the past that to use it, your
>server needs to have many, many cpus??
>--It looks like MapGuide may have good reporting capabilities???  This
>could be good because reporting is going to be a large part of our app.

I would not touch that thing, you say it basically yourself ... plug-in (awful) or
many many CPUs (I heard that too from people using it and being frustrated with it)
... and the format it uses sounds to me like CAD kind of stuff (SDL) ... never have
seen a decent app myself ...

>I've seen differing opinions on which of ArcIMS and MapGuide is good for
>getting apps running quickly.  Some say one and some say the other???

With ArcIMS you can get something "decent" going quickly (really nice functions come
along), however you can compare it with frontpage ... pretty good to start but quite
limited for "sophiticated" things and "all the same look" ... If you have to dive in
coding it's fairly complex ...

>MapXtreme seems to be the best, but does the higher cost outweigh it?

If you have MapInfo-Data/Workspaces, MapXtreme or MapServer are the choice.

>Development will be in Microsoft (.asp), and from what I've seen, that wouldn't favor
>any of the three?

Along with MapXtreme we use HahtSite, which is fairly complex but quite powerful.

>Also, I've looked into the open-source MapServer, and it won't work for our app.

Not so sure about that, I'd need to know more to give you advice (along with i.e. PHP,
PDFLib, MySQL or other DBs and other stuff you can do a lot ...) . Up to now we could
do anything with MapServer we did with the other two ... And most of the times easier,
better, faster - and in addition we have direct access to the developers ...

best regards
Flavio

*******************************
My earlier comparision (updated):

We developed our product Neapoljs for MapXtreme, ArcIMS and MapServer - I'll add
MapServer to the answer as it is worth thinking about it ... see www.mapserver.ch and
www.mapsonlinux.ch for examples with all three platforms - i.e. under "References" :

MapXtreme (NT):
+ very fast even with very large datasets
+ "adult" version, most bugs gone ...
+ compatible with MapInfo, easy to create Geosets from Workspaces
+ cartographic capabilities "OK"
+ quite flexible, lots of functions
- quite difficult to create sites without deep knowledge (version 3.0 should be better
?)
- missing SQL query capabilities (available in new version ?)
- timeout issues with HahtSite (can be avoided)
- poor documentation

ArcIMS:
+ easy to create "standard sites" from scratch (similar to frontpage)
+ SQL-queries and Analysis capabilites
+ good documentation
- "young version", still quite "buggy"
- slow with large datasets on Shape (ok with SDE but $$$$$)
- data security (however great in an Intranet)
- very poor cartography
- nasty to create AXL files ("geosets"), very poor editor -> ASCII editing needed
- not compatible with ArcGIS 8.x (can't convert projects to AXL, no support for
cartographc capabilities of ArcGIS - should come along in a "couple of month"
according to ESRI)

Comment: I think ArcIMS will get there where it should be in around 6 month - I think
once it's performing and supporting the capabilities of ArcGIS it's a good option if
you are in an ESRI environment.

MapServer:
+ free of charge (Open Source)
+ best cartographic capabilities of the three !
+ good performance (I think MapXtreme is still better at least on WIN)
+ supports ESRI Shape (better then ESRI ...) and MapInfo TAB and others
+ best support and update policy
+ excellent mail group
+ running as well on LINUX
- "Geosets" have to be created in ASCII (however it's easy/powerful and there there
are tools out there)
- quite complex to develop applications
- poor documentation

******** 10 Years TYDAC Event - Review see www.tydac.ch *********
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  ATTENTION: New Address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
############      Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Kind Regards
############       Flavio Hendry- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
############         TYDAC AG - http://www.tydac.ch
####    ####        Geographic Information Solutions
####    ####         Luternauweg 12 -- CH-3006 Bern
############   Tel +41 (0)31 368 0180 - Fax +41 (0)31 368 1860
   MAPINFO Strategic Partner - PCI Reseller - FME Distributor
                  ESRI ArcGIS Solution Provider