From: Bendall,A EPO [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 3:38 AM
To: John Haynes; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MI-L POSH

I've heard of a way to remember Port & Starboard (for me).

Starboard derives from a Scandinavian word for steering board.
Most people are right-handed, so tend to steer or row on the right side
of their bodies.
Imagine yourself rowing with one paddle. Which side is it on?
Hence starboard is to the right.

Can anybody help me visualise (=remember) the difference between lat &
long?

From:   John Haynes [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Your "maybe" is probably a "probably".  No can do good longitude before
you
invent a portable time piece.

Latitude was the more accurate until they were able to make a chronometer
that went "tick-tock" instead of "tock-tick".

However, my chronic failure to differentiate between the two recently
resulted in my shipping over a million records with the X and Y reversed

Reminded me of the story about the old Sea Captain who was seen by his
First
Mate to open a locked drawer each morning, remove and study a small piece
of
paper, return it and lock the drawer.  When the Captain died during a sea
voyage, one of the first things the Mate did was take the Captain's key
and
open the drawer.

The paper read, "Port is Left.   Starboard is Right".

are addressed.

If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately
by using the reply facility in your e-mail software.
Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer.

Any modification of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited
unless expressly authorised by the sender.