On 30 Mar 2002 at 22:17, Morten Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm working on a GPS-implementation for MapInfo. I simply want a red dot
> (perhaps even a flashing one) displayed on my map, on the coordinates
> recieved from the GPS. I have the communications up and running, but don't
> really know how to do some seperate threading in MapInfo or if its even
> possible to draw/move dots around the map.

You say you have the communications up & running - does this mean you have
the data coming in to MapInfo already?

I have a separate program that collects the GPS data & sends it by DDE to
MapInfo (I'm presuming you have MapBasic here!). Then I just use the
RemoteMsgHandler facility built into MapBasic...

'***************************************************************************
*
'  RemoteMsgHandler: this procedure is triggered every time a
'                    DDE message comes to MapInfo|MVMMap
'
Sub RemoteMsgHandler

        Dim DDEString as String

        DDEString = CommandInfo(CMD_INFO_MSG)
        Print DDEString

        etc.

All the rest is possible - just put your dot on the screen at the right
coordinates. I haven't tried a flashing dot but guess it would be possible
with some sort of loop, depending on how fast the data was coming in.

While we are on the subject, is anyone else doing this sort of work? If so,
how do we speed things up?! I have a simulator where I can pump multiple
strings into MapInfo & display them - the best I can do is 3 updates per
second - I'm hoping for 75! :-)

Would MapX be faster or should I be looking at a completely new GIS?

Dave