Dan: What you're seeing is almost assuredly a "Bounds" problem.

Export 2 files in MIF/MID format, the problem TAB file and a TAB file that correctly
displays at least roughly the same geographic area as the problem TAB file. Open both
of the MIFs in a word processor as text files (I prefer MSWord, but other word
processor also work). Near the top you will find a line starting with "CoordSys". In
that line  you'll find a parameter starting with "Bounds". Following "Bounds" you
should see 2 coordinate pairs each within parenthesis. These coordinates specify 2
opposite corners of a bounding rectangle that should easily encompass the geographic
area the file is supposed to cover.

The vertical line you see in your "problem" table is all the points/lines of the table
being plotted at the edge of a wrongly specified bounding rectangle that is totally
outside the area where the points/lines geographically fall . By copying the Bounds
parameters from the "good" file into the "problem" file, you should be able to display
the problem file.

While "playing around" in the MIF file, you might want to experiment with different
(larger and smaller) coordinate pairs to get a feel for how that parameter works. And,
you might be able to find the smallest "Bounds" for the area you want. This will allow
greater precision/accuracy in displaying/printing/plotting objects; and in doing
geographic analysis and transformations.

Hope this is the solution, otherwise it will probably be somewhat messier to fix, and
I doubt my level of expertise will be of any use.

  ...Good Luck  ...Bob

Robert Karr                                     Phone: 517-373-3028
Science Research Assistant            FAX:     517-373-0171
Science and Technology Division
Legislative Service Bureau
Michigan State Legislature
124 West Allegan Street, 4th Floor