I am working on landscape quality maps using MapInfo. We embarked on a
project to analyse the landscape, we plotted all our studies onto different
tables divided in two different themes, Man made features and Natural
features. These two themes were further subdivided under different headings
such as built-up areas, waste-tips, fortifications, etc... for man-made
features and afforested areas, SSSIs etc... for natural features. Each
polygon identifying these areas was assigned a value representing the
quality on a predefined scale.

The difficulty we are facing is to compute (adding up) the values of each
polygon in the different tables geographically in order to have one map
with all the values combined together. The methodology adopted was to
create a grid made of 100m x 100m cells and we devised a program inhouse
that will take points in these areas from the different tables and combine
them together so we have a representative map. The only difficulty
encountered is that the program works fine and the results are brilliant
but it is time consuming. Approximately to compute one table it is taking
around 33days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with 31510 points in the grid, in
total we have 10 tables and I don't wish to spend a whole year to produce a
detailed "one" map!!!!

Any form of help and ideas are very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Chris Attard