Bob,
I think one of the problems may be the dxf you are importing is from a later
source version then your MI therefore MI feels a bit inadequate. (Its a bit
like trying to import a document created in Word 2000 into Word 6 it just
doesn't happen).

A way around it is to try using universal translator. Or try using something
like FME (which is what universal translator is built from.) Try to download
an evaluation copy from www.safe.com It may help.

Cheers
Bean