Howdy!

I'm looking to compare our MapXtreme project's hardware requirements to
other fielded systems.

The application is Sales Force Automation.  It allows Reps to enter filter
criteria on MapXtreme and extract leads.  We run 5-8 filter criteria.

We are running 3 dual Dell 2550's (1.2 ghz CPU on 1gb of RAM and RAID 0,
Win2k).

Web server (general ASP, Active Reports, a "special activity" and Admin
functions).
Biz server (MapXtreme)
SQL server (SQL 2000)

After getting some help from MapInfo Consulting, we switched from ADO to DAO
in addition to analyzing our SQL queries.   ALL COM, no DCOM. 100mb between
the 3 boxes. All Standard MS versions - not Enterprise.

We anticipate the system will run concurrent 5-6 users executing filtering
on up to 300 zip codes (our lowest defined boundary), and possibly 30k
possible leads (within the boundary) over 56k dial up lines (yes some folks
have DSL)..  While we have substantially improved our performance (by 200%)
we are still unclear about what type of boxes the client will need to
purchase for full blown production.  Scale out or scale up?

We think scaling OUT on the database make sense (we have another heavy SQL
functionality run off the web server) and scaling UP on the MapXtreme box if
necessary (which we don't think is going to be as important as the SQL
boxes).  Likewise scaling OUT on the web boxes makes sense (reporting,
admin, "other function", and general user pages).

Hopefully several of you will share and we will all be better prepared to
make our clients impressed with MapXtreme's performance.

Sincerely,

Don Gilman, P.E.
Applied Computing
www.appcomp.com