Hi Jessie,

There's a tool called DMSCNVRT.MBX that comes with Mapinfo.  It will
convert DMS to DD.  However you will have to massage your data a
little bit first.  The tool expects the format of 123,58,34
representing D,M,S - commas between the D,M,S.

Here's what I would do:
-----------------------

1. Get the data out of Word and into Excel.  If your data is tab
separated in Word then you should be able to cut & paste the whole lot
in one go into Excel.

2. In Excel, search/replace all instances of:
      *° *  with  *,*
      *' *  with  *,*
      *"*   with  **  (ie. nothing)

     Ignore the *

3. Read the XLS file into MI.
4. Save as native MI table.
5. Open the native MI table, make it mappable, create two new columns
"Long_DEC", "Lat_DEC", of float data type.
6. Run DMSCNVRT.MBX, follow instructions.
7. Create points from your two new "_DEC" columns.

Easy as 1,2,3 ...... 4,5,6,7 !

Good luck,

Peter Zyczynski
Analyst Programmer