Dear Bill

I am not aware of there being a maximum.

In terms of an optimum the less fields you index on the quicker an index
will be updated. However your application might gain enormously by
having more indexes so it is difficult to talk of an optimum.

In general our experience is that adding one record at a time this is
not an issue. However if you are adding a lot at a time and no other
users need access while you are doing this, then it is worth dropping
the indexes, adding the records, then creating the indexes as a seperate
operation.

Also keep the index as short as possible. MapInfo will index on the
first 127 bytes of a field. If you do not need this length it could be
worth maintaining a seperate shorter field in your database, and index
on this. It takes less than half the time to reindex a field that is
half the length. The same advantage applies when retrieving a record
from the index. Try and store numeric values in smallint,integer or
float as these indexes will be shorter than a decimal one.

If there is a maximum then it is certainly a lot greater than 3 and we
have not yet hit it.

Regards

Bob
mapsbydesign.co.uk