Problem:

After uninstalling MI Pro 6.5 and installing 7.0, I have encountered the
following problem:  Opening a MrSid raster (.sid) I receive a System Error:
Floating-point exception: Invalid.  I click on OK of the System Error and MI
closes.

I am running 98SE as my operating system.  I can open other raster formats
(.tif, jpg) with out any problem.  I had no such problem with the 6.5
version and the Build 26 patch for 7.0 is of no help.

If I load 7.0 onto a Win 2000 OS, there is no problem.

Solution:

Replaced the MrSid raster-handler files with those provided in MI Pro v6.0.

Thanks to those who responded:

Richard GLASS wrote:
floating point errors are fixed by applying the patch for 6.5. Don't know if
this is the case for 7 but have a look on their website

Bill WEMPLE of MapInfo wrote:
Try installing (or copying) the MrSID handler file(s) from 6.5 right over
the same handler file in 7.0 on your 98 box to see if that resolves it.
I've heard from some folks already that it took care of the issue.  Each
version has its issues that we are aware of, but this may resolve it more
painlessly for you.  It could also just be something Win98 related with its
video driver, but this is worth a try.

Tony COOLEY of Data Directions wrote:
I had a client with similar problems after upgrading to MIv7.  The problem
did seem limited only to Win98.  A solution we found was to use MrSID raster

handler from a previous version of MapInfo.   The MrSid Raster Handler
resides in the MapInfo program folder and consists of single file in MIv7
(MRSID.RHE).  In older versions of MI it consists of 2 files (Mrsid.rhe &
Mrsid32.dll).   Replace the V7 MRSID.RHE with the 2 MrSID Raster Handler
files from a previous version of MapInfo.   Either MIv6 or MIv6.5 should
work.  I have found the MIv6 handler to be the most stable.

Tony
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Suffolk County P.D.
Long Island, New York, USA