You can do this without an mbx. First, set the symbol you want with
Options/Symbol Style. Next, make the layer editable and make your
selection. Then open the mapbasic window and enter:

Update Selection set obj=CreatePoint (CentroidX (obj), CentroidY (obj))

That should do it, or double your money back!

- Bill Thoen