Here it is:

A Brief Biography of Chadsworth Gore

Tipper Gore, an amateur genealogical researcher, discovered that her
husband's great-great uncle, Chadsworth Gore, a fellow lacking in
character, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Tennessee in
1889.  The only known photograph of Chadsworth Gore shows him standing on
the gallows.  On the back of the picture is this inscription: "Chadsworth
Gore; horse thief, sent to Tennessee Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the
Tennessee Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and
hanged in 1889."

After letting Al Gore and his staff of professional image consultants
peruse the findings, they decided to crop Chadsworth's picture, scan it in
as an enlarged image, and edit it with image processing software so that
the biographical sketch was sent to the Associated Press as follows:
"Chadsworth Gore was a famous rancher in early Tennessee history.  His
business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets
and intimate dealings with the Tennessee railroad.  Beginning in 1883, he
devoted several years to service at a government facility, finally taking
leave to resume his dealings with the railroad.  "In 1887, he was a key
player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective
Agency.  In 1889, Chadsworth Gore passed away during an important civic
function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing
collapsed."

And thus passed the very first "hanging Chad."

Milton