Robert

We're having some of the same heartache here  - the only (minor) consolation
being that its pretty much the same for all software these days. The
MapBasic user guide gives you the names and normal locations of files to
support a roaming profile setup, plus MapBasic statements to find them.

I don't know which option we'll come up with but there are two obvious ones
to look at -

1. Use the login script to check whether the c:\winnt\<user
name>\application data\Mapinfo etc files exist on the PC and copy them in
from a shared network resource if necessary. If you're clever you could get
the .PRF file so that the user gets the same session setup wherever they log
in. Its all about 0.25 MB in total.

As FAR AS I CAN TELL this is all the windows installer does when setting up
a new user on a PC ie uncompresses the files into the users profile. We're
hoping its that simple but I'm willing to bet theres a registry setting
involved.

2. Give users admin rights (temporary??) over their own c:\winnt\<user name>
directory - if you can do this - so that the MapInfo user is installed
correctly on first run on that PC.

Would love to hear from a proper grown-up system administrator on this.

Paul Crisp

Syntegra
Innovation Place Delta Bank Road Newcastle NE11 9DJ
Tel 0191 461 4522 Fax 0191 460 1987