First - regarding architecture.
MapInfo desperately needs (needed) to get a handle on its code base and
the diversity of directions products were going.  Without the common
code base direction there was impending disaster.  The direction of a
this common software architecture is in large part a function of the
direction of Microsoft, upon whom MapInfo (as well as many others) have
become dependent.

All I will say here is that if you look at the history of computing, for
which I have been involved for about 30 years, you will see there are
certain trends that occur.  IBM and its peers like Sperry, Univac,
Unisys, Digital have had to face the inevitability of product life cycle
/leadership in a more macro environment, so too will Microsoft.  This is
not say there is a doomsday for Microsoft, Hardly.  There are several
signs (actions taken by Microsoft) that parallel IBM in an almost
frightening similar fashion.  What Microsoft was to IBM, Linux is now to
Microsoft.  While it is still about 4 years away by my reckoning,
Microsoft market leadership will dramatically decay due to pressure from
Linux and the Open Source community.

The fall out I worry about the ability for a company like MapInfo to
move swiftly enough to adapt to the changing environment.  It has taken
several years to create a common code base, and I am suspect as to how
"common" it really is throughout the product line.  What will it take,
and will they be able to compete with the new genre of Open Source
software providers as Linux continues to gain Server market share, and
penetrate the desktop.  Will their "common code base" have them tied too
tightly to Microsoft such that they will not be able to compete in the
new marketplace that is evolving?

As for product capabilities, publishing in this case.
This is a marketing / licensing issue more than any other.  What is
important in this case is that ALL products have a common "rendering"
and data structure.  A symbol, line, fill, character style and
positioning is the same throughout the product line.  All products
support the same level of rendering.  For example if I position text in
MI Pro that positioning is consistent throughout the product line.  If I
create curved text, it should occur as curved text in all products.  The
problem we struggle with are the inconsistencies manifest by such things
as:  MID/MIF, TAB, WorkSpace, Map Definition, and Geoset.  What's next?

There may be a "librarian" and other tools to manage published products
(maps), Again within a common framework for all products.

The ability to "publish" a map may be performed by a piece of software,
the RIGHT to do so lies in the license.