From: Phillips, Frank [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 3:00 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc: 'MapInfo-List Lists'
Subject: RE: MI-L Exporting mapinfo table such that m$ excel
ca

<can anyone tell me whats the easiest and most effective
ways to export a
mapinfo table such that it can be manipulated in m$ excel???
what should we
save the mapinfo table file as such that we can open it up
in m$excel??? >

Michelle,

I'm just a beginner at MapInfo (I'm an ESRI veteran), but I
do know a bit
about how Excel deals with tables.  Aside from using DDE (I
think it's
called "poke") to transfer the table, you can manually
export the table as a
DBF or as a comma delimited file (CSV) and then open that
file in Excel.
The one caveat about using a comma separated file is that it
will drop
leading zeroes in your data (if you have any), and if your
data contains any
commas then Excel will read up the file incorrectly.  This
is the reason I
always export a DBF from MapInfo (or ArcView) and then open
it in Excel.

There's one other caveat for DBF, though.  When Excel opens
a DBF, it makes
a "mental note" about the number of rows and columns in the
DBF, and if you
work in that same DBF and add or delete any rows or columns
and then
re-save, it will act like it's saving correctly, but will
actually keep the
number of rows and columns the same.  For this reason, I use
the workaround
of first opening the DBF, then copy/paste into a virgin
Excel sheet for
working and saving.  Then I go and delete the DBF I
exported.

Hope this helps.

Frank Phillips
Manager of Marketing GIS