Hello fellow listers!  I have a question, perhaps an unofficial opinion
survey....

Nutshell question - Should a User Conference be one BIG event, or a bunch of
small, regional events with the same agenda and sessions?

Since MI hasn't announced yet when/where MapWorld 2004 will be, there is
some speculation about what's going on behind the scenes.  Since 9/11, many
companies are no longer doing huge User Conferences, and are instead doing
small regional conferences.  They claim that there's a problem with people
not having the money all of a sudden to travel.

I hate the idea of smaller conferences, because there's no way that each
conference will be identical, since not all sponsors will be at each of
them.  Questions in the breakout sessions will be different.  In a smaller
forum, you have a better chance of sitting near someone you already sat next
to, but one of the reason for these User Conferences is to meet as many
other users as you can, to experience all of the different applications out
there.

No matter where they have a conference, people are going to have to travel.
Granted, some people will live close enough to stay at home, but like I
mentioned previously, a User Conference is supposed to give you an excuse to
socialize with other users.  Additionally, if you're close to home/work, it
gives your boss a way to pull you back into the office to help fix things or
do extra work.  It's not as easy to concentrate on the conference if you're
in familiar surroundings.

I truly hope that MapWorld will still be one event, so we can all meet and
discuss in person, instead of missing out on so many experiences.

Other thoughts??

Eric DeVries, SSgt, USAF
NCOIC Visualized Intelligence
HQ Air Force Office of Special Investigations
(240) 857-0827 / DSN  857-0827

"Why can't they buy just one airplane and take turns flying it?"
-- President Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)