Hi there,

As far as I know you just have to live with those issues.

If you are lucky the data provider will have created a seperate *.PRJ file
that sits alongside the SHP and contains projection info.  This is one that
MapInfo can work with and also the Universal Translator writes out when
creating a shapefile from MapInfo.  Thats the first bit - and a crucial one
to be sure - how many hours have I wasted trying to sleauth out the
coordinates from a shapefile ([EMAIL PROTECTED]@#$).  Usually I preview it in ArcView
or ArcExplorer and have enough sense to guess from a sample coordinate pair.
Alternately you fish through a seperate metadata file to find the projection
and coordinate info.  Or you harass the data provider until they give it up.

With regards to the styling, yes thats a bummer too.  There is a nifty
additional optional file in ArcView 3.x called a *.AVL - a legend file -
that defines a style setting or thematically driven setting that loads when
you open the SHP file.  In the newfangled Arc8 there is something called a
Layer file - sort of the same idea - an umbrella with settings to sit over
the data in the SHP.  Neither of these can be used by non-ESRI tools as far
as I know, but if you could read them and apply their contents in MapInfo
that could be a fix to this annoying non-feature of the direct SHP.  As an
aside, SHPs are also approx 50% fatter than TAB (.MAP) with large complex
spatial layers like topographic contours.

I am very interested in more insight on this topic as well - particularly
with regards to Open GIS data formats and standards - the geodata.gov site
is very interesting and some of you know a lot more about the Geospatial One
Stop initiative and also web-based OGC compliant services than I do...I sit
on a state GIS board here in Maine where we are planning to implement a new
state GeoLibrary - and data distribution, standards, and formats are all on
the table.  You find SHP files everywhere for downloadable data, and often
those ArcExport files too which have a whole host of their own
peculiarities.  At least the SHP files are published and not propietary - I
fear the day when the download will be a Arc...only or other proprietary
format - but open formats can still win.  Wish I knew more...

Will Mitchell
Mitchell Geographics, Inc.
496 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101