From: Warren Vick, Europa Technologies Ltd.
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 10:04 AM
To: 'MapInfo-L'
Subject: MI-L Bug Friday - IntersectNodes()

Hello Listers,

I think today should be designated "Bug Friday"... everyone throw in their
favourite little known bug!

My favourite has been a bug since v5.0 when MapInfo tinkered with the object
processing code to get rid of a rather annoying error message.
Unfortunately, while fixing a few things, they broke others. I have not
tested the following on every very of Pro (with and without patches) but to
the best of my knowledge, it still exists.

As many listers will know, MapInfo's spatial data does not manage data in a
topological structure. However, there are plenty of applications where
checking or analysing topology is important. For polygon work, I use the
following MB function to find the common border between two objects.

IntersectNodes(Obj1, Obj2, INCL_COMMON)

Ever since Pro v5.0, the results from this are "wild" to say the least.
Instead of a polyline gently delimited the two polygons, one gets erratic
lines shooting around the place.

I did post this message a few hours ago it did not appear on the list. I did
attached a couple of images to illustrate the problem and presume the list's
attachment policy has now been reinstated... However, I didn't know that
messages would be completely filtered!

I do have a pair of map images of the continental US with state borders
found using the IntersectNodes() function. One was made with Pro v4.5 and
works, the other with 7.0 (patched) and does not. Let me know if anyone
would like to see them.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd.