Thanks for the one suggestion on this from Greg Phillips, who said that
ER
Mapper can clip Geotiffs using a vector boundary.

A little more research on my part turned up a much cheaper and good
alternative:  Didger from Golden Software.  A quick demo of the product
shows that it works very quickly and easily for this function - the
product sells for around $329.

Berk Charlton