From: Lawrence Turner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, 14 November 2003 2:42 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MI-L Importing .dwgs

Norm,

Application versioning is critical when translation (importing)  data.

If you have an option with the suppliers of the data, I would say first
request that the DWG files are supplied in AutoCad version 12 format to
suite your MapInfo version 5.5

Alternatively, get the latest version of MapInfo Pro - 7.5 - an upgrade.

Alternatively purchase FME from Safe Software to perform the
translations for you into the MapInfo pro TAB format.

The Universal Translator with MapInfo Pro is developed by another
company called Safe Software. It is basically a cut down version of its
application known FME. Unfortunately it is not an upgrade of Universal
Translator.

If the suppliers of the data cannot give it to you in a compatible DWG
version then maybe they could even translate it to MapInfo Pro TAB
format or you even request someone else to translate the DWG to MapInfo
for you.

Maybe even someone on this email list who lives in your part of the
world could help?

All of these options need to be evaluated within your own business
requirements.

good luck

=========================
Lawrence Turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ph: (+61 7) 340 36898
Fax: (+61 7) 340 35103
GIS Services, iDivision
Brisbane City Council
Floor 20, 69 Ann St
BRISBANE, 4000
Queensland, Australia
=========================

>>> Norm Shea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2003/11/14 13:08:00 PM >>>
I am having trouble importing some .dwg files.  I am running MIPro 5.5
and Universal Translator 1.6.  When I try to import, I get the following
error
message:

>Error opening file 'G:\ACAD-hotellagoon.dwg'. Error is 'Unsupported
>file version Program Terminating
>
>Translation FAILED.
>Unable to generate mapping file.

Any ideas?  Do I need a newer version of Universal Translator.  And what
is FME by Safe Software?  Is that an upgrade?  I guess, basically, what
do I need to convert this .dwg.  I have received files in the past from
a landscape design company that I was able to open so I have had some
success. These are from a different engineering firm.  Do I need to know
what version of AutoCAD was used?

Thanks,
Norm

Norm Shea
Director, Lakes Management
Kiawah Island Community Association
20 Kestrel Court
Kiawah Island, SC 29455-5657
843-768-2315 office
843-768-0298 fax
843-708-3608 mobile

The following message has been received from the Internet.  Please use
with caution the message and any attachments

This message has passed through an insecure network.
All enquiries should be directed to the message author