Trey,

Thanks, that's as good a solution as I need.

I ended up using
Set Window 1011 Position ( -0.05, -0.05) Width 14.73 Height 11
for a 15" display. The negative values offset it enough to account for the window border and the effect is virtually the same as a maximised window.
For some reason 0,0 is the top left of the right screen (i.e. the centre of the 'combined' display), rather than the top left of the left screen.

Thanks again,

Matt

Trey Pattillo wrote:

Does anyone know how MI determines start up position (.ini, registry etc.)?
answer > MAXIMIZED but can be hacked

here is what I learned in Sep/Oct when reworking my 911 mapping application
to utilize the new Dell Dual 17" LCD's that were being installed...

M$ thumbs it nose at the IEEE, W3C [web], or any other standard [nothing new
here]
All versions except 98 and eXPee have major issues that vary depending on
the video chip set [matrox, nVidia....]

I'm using Win2k and 911 is using eXPee Pro, so I spent may hours of
searching/coding/debugging/shampoo/rinse/repeat

do a google search for "nVidia dual monitor" [with quotes to read/understand
more] as they have more issues than the others

1) nVidia on Win2k does not do a "true" dual monitor but only 1 "BIG"
desktop [note start bar spans both monitors]
2) Matrox, et. al., are better [play dual monitor correctly] but have some
other issues
3) if you are using dual cards do not do agp and pci use only pci and xpee
will do 5 cards with 10 monitors [other WinXX are less]
4) if I remember correct PCI cards have less/none of the issue that AGP has
[read nVidia works correct but don't put $$ on that]

You can "hack" your problem by changing the mapinfo.mnu file
I'm not going to comment where 'Doze put it should be located with
mapinfow.exe
but for 2K/XP it may be under the c:\documents and settings\{current user}

Add this line to the end of the file

Set Window 1011 Position ( X, Y) Width W Height H

where X,Y,W,H are expressed in inches [pixels / 96 ]

example to put on right monitor with 800x600 resolution
  X = 800 - 4 = 796 / 96 = 8.29166667
  Y = 600 - 4 = 596 / 96 = 6.20833333
  H = 800 + 8 = 808 / 96 = 8.41666667
  W = 600 + 8 = 608 / 96 = 6.33333333

Set Window 1011 Position ( 8.29166667, 6.20833333) Width 6.33333333 Height
8.41666667

The reason for the - 4 and +8 is to remove the outer border edges simulating
"maximize"
[windowse [www.greatis.com] reports MI width as 1032 for my 1024 settings]
[this app tells all about the window or part of under the cursor ]

I'm not sure what will happen when the user clicks "maximize"
It may jump back to the left monitor and stretch across both monitors.
YMMV

You should also be able to replace the Position() W w H h...... with the
constants for
win_state_normal = 0
win_state_minimized = 1
win_state_maximized = 2

and you can use a single quote ' at the start of the line to "comment" out
the line for quick on/off

NOTE: be sure to make a backup copy before starting and use a "pure text
editor" [www.editpad.com]

Trey Pattillo [EMAIL PROTECTED] www.wap3.com N27.799013 W-97.665322