I am looking to do some basic things in MapInfo 7.0 that I cannot figure out. I have
had all my training in ESRI products and am finding MapInfo a little more difficult to
figure out on certain things.

First off, I am looking to make vector data in the same layer have different colors
based on a field. For instance, I want to see all of the states in a different color.
Do you I just create a thematic map? But then how do I make them transparent? Same
with giving point data different symbols based on a field.

The other thing I cannot figure out is when I have a raster layer, say a geologic map,
and I create a layer on top of it that is editable, and I draw polygons to bring out
the different geology. How do I attach another polygon to one I have already created
without having to redigitize the line that they share? I found the snap tool but I
still have to redigitize the common line between the 2 polygons. Is there a way around
this?

Thank you for your help.

Willie Wangberg
GIS Technician