you may label with multiple attributes (columns) and expressions by clicking
"expression" in the set of choices to label  with.  The Asset wizard will
pop up.  Use the concatenation keyword symbol + to label with more than one
column, expression or text string- and don't forget to insert blank spaces
as " " and punctuation can go in as +",".  You may use Chr$(13)to force a
new line in the label for all that follows it. For example from a
hypothetical table of States' for my Michigan, the expression "The State of
"+ Name + Chr$(13)+ "Home of the "+ State_Bird + Chr$(13)+Population
/Area(obj,Acre)+" People per Acre" would look like

The State of Michigan
Home of the Robin
.52 People Per Acre

The allow duplicate text option relates to the text string in one column.
So if you have one road with 12 separate polylines, each segment attributed
"Main St" in the Road_Name column will be labeled when allow duplicate text
is check, if its not checked only one segment gets the label.

Another thing the program does is each object in one layer is allowed one
label.  When the Label box is checked in layer control, the label is
automatically placed at the line or regions centroid.  If you use the label
tool, it will display where ever you click on the region or line.  If the
arrow box is checked in label dialog, then the arrow is anchored on the
centroid and the text displays where ever you click with the label tool, or
manually move the label to.

TIP - You can query out subsets of the table and place each of those into
layer control and label each query differently.  You may also add the same
table multiple times and label each one separately / differently.  Play
around with zoom layering in label and display and adding the same table
back in to give more/different detail at closer views.  Draw back- redraw
time increases.

If you have 2 regions over each other, the one in the uppermost layer will
grab the label, but you can cycle through the objects over each other with
the Alt key.  If both regions are in the same table, the one drawn first
gets the label, and you cant fiddle with the draw order.  Im not sure what
you are applying this to, but your example shows a bad practice, you would
not have the state of NY , The county of ?what_ever_that_is?, the City of NY
and the burrows of NYC all in the same layer.  And when a layer is not
homogeneous, labeling problems often show up.  Ideally, you would not have
one region over another in one table, unless it was archival and there was a
field to query on that drew out the current data.  I am suspicious that you
may need to split the data into more distinct tables.

William "Woody" Woodruff
Zoning Administrator
Charter Township of Union, Isabella County, Michigan
-84.80947000 43.61095100
2010 S Lincoln Rd, Mt. Pleasant, MI  48858
(989) 772 4600 EXT 41
Visit our web site at http://www.geocities.com/ctuzoning/index.htm