> I was wandering what MI (7.5) does to Oracle (9.2) when querying a table in the
> direct mode.

Do you perform this query using the SQL Select or do you send the query to Oracle
using the DBMS expert ?
If you send the query to Oracle you can use the power of Oracle to get a much better
performance, and this also prevents MapInfo from retrieving all records from the
Oracle database before actually doing the query. If you use the DBMS Expert MapInfo
only needs to retrieve the records that fits your query.

As far as I know you can speed up things if you keep a rowcount in the
MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG. Mayby this could prevent MapInfo from performing the last query
(Select count(*) ...)

But anyway it sure looks strange that the same query is performed twice !!

Peter Horsbøll Møller
GIS Developer
Geographical Information & IT

COWI A/S
Odensevej 95
DK-5260 Odense S
Denmark

Tel     +45 6311 4900
Direct  +45 6311 4908
Mob     +45 5156 1045
Fax     +45 6311 4949
E-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cowi.dk

*****CHANGE OF ADDRESS - COWI's offices in Odense are now under the same roof*****
On December 8th. 2003, Geographical Information & IT moved from Rugaardsvej 55, 5000
Odense C to Odensevej 95, 5260 Odense S.
Please note our new telephone, direct and telefax numbers.