From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 12:26 PM
To: Hooper Sarah
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: MI-L Poly size increase

Hi Sarah

To answer your question well it would certainly help to know why the area of

the polygon needs to grow by a value and indeed what the polygon represents.

I have listed below one technical solution but before that I would just like
show some caution by suggesting for most applications this would be a
dangerous
assumption.

If a planning authority decided to allow a 10 per cent growth in housing it
is
highly unlikely they would allow a uniform growth. There would be many
constraints. Physical constraints such as rail, river and road and
environmental considerations would make the following a meaningless
solution.
The growth is just as likely to be a bubble on the side of the existing area
as
a uniform growth as detailed below.

With that reservation in mind:-

One solution...

Find the existing area by one of MapInfos alternatives ... eg using select
tool
select object.

In a similar way find the perimeter of the object. Multiply the area by the
percentage increase to get the increased area.

Divide the increased area by the perimter to find a buffer value.

Buffer the object with the offset as calculated.

This solution to be very accurate would need to be iterative. The new object

would not exactly be the correct new area because on obtuse angles around
the
perimeter it will increase too much and on acute by not enough. However if
say
you wanted to increase by 10% and your first calculation for the offset is
say
9.2 metres and this gives a real increase of 11% your second iterative
solution
for the offset would be 9.2m x 10/11. ( hope this makes sense ).

This technical solution is of course based on increasing the object out from

its centre uniformly by a constant buffer size and I cannot straight off
think
of an application where this would be apporopriate!

Regards

Bob

Quoting Hooper Sarah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to increase polygon sizes by a percentage value. How do I go
> about this? And is there a way to increase many at once?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sarah

****
***
> The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are confidential and
> addressed. Transport for London hereby exclude any warranty and any
liability
> as to the quality or accuracy of the contents of this email and any
attached
> transmitted files. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that
you
> have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
> forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
>
> If you have received this email in error please notify
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the
> presence of computer viruses.

> Message number: 9923

This communication contains information from Universal Access, Inc. (or its
affiliates) which is confidential and may also be privileged.  It is for the
exclusive use of the intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended
recipient(s), please note that any distribution, copying or use of this
communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.  If you have
and then destroy any copies of it.