I was seeking information about how to adapt MapBasic
applications to be compliant with the Windows 2000 rules and
conventions, and I received three responses.

Bill Wemple suggested a good starting point might be the
'Designed for XP' logo program that MapInfo used for MI Pro:
http://www.microsoft.com/winlogo/software/default.mspx. It's a
lot to read, but it looks like what I was searching for.

Eric Blasenheim provided some more insight into the changes
incorporated into MapInfo to meet the new requirements. He also
reminded me of the LocateFile$() function which can be used to
find the new locations of MapInfo support files.

Regarding compliancy issues he writes:

> In general, the changes we made were to make sure that MapInfo Professional could
> run under a user account that was restricted. A restricted user would not have
> rights to the "Program Files" folders, for example, so we had to move files to
> locations under "Documents and Settings" where we were guaranteed that the user
> would have write access. However, we had to go back on some of that and at least
> allow other locations as too many MBX'es assumed that the PRJ, for instance, was in
> the "ProgramDirectory$". That was OK because while it is nice to have users edit the
> PRJ, Pro does not do it from the software.
>
> As for things like .INI and registry entries, there are no hard rules other than
> editability. You can't use HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for writing for the same reasons as
> above.

Peter Horsbøll Møller focused on the problem of where to place
settings files for MBXes running in a server environment. He
suggested using the GetFolderPath$() function with the
FOLDER_MI_PREFERENCE parameter. I think I'd more likely use a mix
of an application-specific folders under FOLDER_COMMON_APPDATA
for settings all users need and FOLDER_LOCAL_APPDATA for settings
specific to each user. If you want read his whole message send an
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and the
MapInfo-L server will send you a copy.

--
- Bill Thoen