Distance()function help:
Distance( num_x , num_y , num_x2 , num_y2 , str )
Returns the distance between two locations. The first two parameters specify
the x and y value of the start location; the next two parameters specify the
x and y value of the end location; the str parameter is a distance unit
name, such as "mi" or "km".

I use teh mnomoc Latty Fatty Y to rember which is which

Without writing an mbx, you will need lat and long (y and x) columns for the
objects, use update with centroid(x) and agian for centroid(y).

Depending on what 2 items you want to generte diatnces for, there are
different stratigies. If its distance to a set of objects from one object
(One store to many customers) use the actuall lat and long in the first part
of the distance function and the fields Lattitude and Longitude for set of
points in a calculated query. I used teh Customer ID and the fields LAT and
LONG for each customer location, and the known position of the store
(-84.82, 45.59)  See below.  the "Distance_To_Store" part is an alias to
label the column with, other wise the formula will be the Column heading.

some mapbasic text to show the steps

Alter Table "My_table" ( add Latitude Decimal(13,8) )
Alter Table "My_table" ( add Longitude Decimal(13,8) )

Update My_table Set Latitude = Centroid(y)
Update My_table Set Longitude = Centroid(x)

Select ID, Distance(-84.82, 43.59,LONG,LAT,"mi") "Distance _To_Store" from
My_table into Selection

This generates a list of Customer IDs and the distance to the store from
each customer Lat and Long.

William "Woody" Woodruff
Zoning Administrator
Charter Township of Union, Isabella County, Michigan
-84.80947000 43.61095100
2010 S Lincoln Rd, Mt. Pleasant, MI  48858
(989) 772 4600 EXT 41
Visit our web site at http://www.geocities.com/ctuzoning/index.htm