Please forgive my previous message. I should know better than
to write email when I'm angry.  I was trying to paste something
into the message with CTRL-V and hit SHIFT-V instead, which sends the
message.

In case you're still curious, here's a continuaiton of what I was trying
to describe.

Since my datasets were photogrametrically derived and had implied
topological relationships with each other, I had to tune the MapInfo
projection using Bounds clauses.  My Maryland State Plane coordinate
system clause looked like this in MAPINFOW.PRJ:

"New Maryland State Plane (feet, tight to Maryland)", 2003, 74, 8, -77,
37.6666666667, 38.3, 39.45, 1312333.333, 0, 0, -700000, 2147483.648,
1447483.648

The relevant part of the .E00 file produced by the UT looks like this:

Projection    LAMBERT
~
Datum         NAD83
~
Zunits        NO
~
Units         FEET
~
Spheroid      GRS80
~
Xshift        0.0000000000
~
Yshift        0.0000000000
~
Parameters
~
 38  18  0.000  /* 1st standard parallel
~
 39  27  0.000  /* 2nd standard parallel
~
-77  0  0.000  /* central meridian
~
 37  40  0.000  /* latitude of projection's origin
~
1312333.333000  /* false easting (meters)
~
0.000000  /* false northing (meters)
~

The comments emitted after the false-easting and false-northing parameters
finally led me to the ridiculous thing: In coverages, false-northing and
false-easting parameters are always in meters, regardless of the units used
by the projection!

But UT output the value in feet.

When the E00 file was imported into a coverage, the false easting was
interpreted
as meters and converted it to 4305546.943351 feet, placing objects on the
border
between Illinois and Indiana, rather than in Maryland where they should have
been.

As Charlie Brown used to say, "My head hurts..."

Spencer