From: Phil Waight [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 24-Mar-04 20:31
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MI-L Where to find symbols as BMP's?

I couldn't agree more that decent / well organised symbol sets (either
bitmap or TTF style) seem to be in short supply. My main issue with the
current set in MapInfo / MapX is that they are poorly presented /
classified, not so much that they couldnt cover most of my or my customer's
requirements. When I went searching for standards/symbol sets, I had the
same result as you - not much seems to have been done. However, geologists
seem to have their act together with good sets and standards. So here are my
findings in no particular order. Some of the references below may have
sufficient quality graphics that you could turn them into BMPs with some
very tedious work.
  1.. I dont think I was able to find downloadable TTFs on the ESRI site,
but this link http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/esri/index.htm has 8
Esri fonts.
  2.. Downloading and installing ArcPad (free) gives you sets of free fonts,
but it was a while ago and cant comment on the quality.
  3.. USGS symbol standards for topo maps are presented here:
http://www.mytopo.com/background_topo.cfm, but these are mainly areal fill
patterns rather than point symbols - would be nice to have in MI one day
though.
  4.. Exhaustive geology symbol standards/definitions here ...
http://ncgmp.usgs.gov/fgdc_gds/mapsymb/mapsymbpdfs.html  These have great
detail, but has someone created these region/line/point styles for MapInfo?
  5.. This is a good study reference on symbol types and application
http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/learning_resources/carto/symbol.html
  6.. This link is referred to in a number of places and so must have had
something useful in it at some stage
http://www.maps4u.com/ref/symbology/usgs  but no longer exists. Possibly the
content exists elsewhere now??
  7.. Installing software such as CorelDraw gives you a wealth of fonts.
  8.. My last version of LayMan
(http://www.acenet.com.au/~pwaight/layman_whatsnew.htm) addressed 2
shortcomings of standard symbol use in MapInfo, organisation (groups symbols
by a classification  and allows sorting by font name or class) and speed of
use (browsing and picking) whilst editing a map.
Phil.